8.24.2010

Gifts That Matter

Each year we all complain about the amount we spend on gifts during the holiday season.
That time of year will be here again before you know it and we will probably repeat that cycle again.

I have decided that this year will be different and I have already started.I began with a cause that I have been supporting and donating to for a few years:

http://www.joinred.com/splash.htm

I purchased all the men and boys in my life (NIKE) RED Laces. 50% was donated to the Global Fund that helps fight HIV/AIDS in Africa.
(FYI - NIKE now has a shoe that can be personalized and funds donated under this program)

Instead of giving them a toy or money for their birthdays, I decided to give my nephews gifts that really matter.
They both received (RED) Converse shoes. They were able to design them and personalize them with their names under the Make Mine (RED) program. 15% of the net retail sales of this shoe was given to the Global Fund to fights AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria.

Now my sister and niece want a pair for their birthdays. Next year!

When you are helping others it makes it easy to give. Remember to always explain the significance of the purchase so that the recipient is reminded of the good a simple purchase can do and is inspired to do the same.
So, look up your favorite charity or a cause you are passionate about and make an effort to give gifts that really matter this year.

1 comment: